Associated Partners

The identified network of host institutions provides access to an extensive geographic coverage of field stations through a diverse range of global biomes and ecosystems, and to related world-class lab and research facilities. Notwithstanding, the PD is in the final stages of negotiations with the University of Victoria (UVic), Canada, to further strengthen the global network to also include access to research being conducted in the Pacific coastal region, including the Arctic. Inclusion of the latter node would further strengthen the strategic goal of having a circum-global perspective of research and teaching excellence. Although at a more initial stage, we are undergoing negotiations with Universidad Nacional del Altiplano, in Puno (Peru), and Universidad Nacional de Salta (Argentina), that will provide a logistic support to work in the Andes. 

Through special existing agreements between UA and the NGOs Instituto Ecologica, Instituto Homem Pantaneiro and the Foundation Enigma, BEGC has preferential access to field stations located in the Cerrado region and Brazilian semi-arid, such as the field station Ecotropical, within an area of 2500 ha of cerrado, that is scientifically managed by the PD, the Canguçu field station, in front of the biggest river island of the world (ilha do Bananal), in the Amazonia (through INPA and the Federal University of Amazonia) and in the wetlands of Pantanal, as well as access to facilities within the Principe Natural Park (Principe island, Sao Tome & Principe), in Africa. 

UA has also special agreement with Universidade Lurio, located in Nampula, and its campus in Pemba, with direct access to the Indian Ocean; in the same region, we have an agreement with Quirimbas National Park (QNP), which will provide BEGC with logistic and financial support to work within QNP, that covers an area of ca. 7506 km2 of which 80% is occupied by the mainland and the remaining 20% (1,522 km2) are composed of 11 islands and marine habitats, including corals (where one BEGC student is doing her PhD project, cosupervised by UA and UStAndrews staff). UA has also agreements with INPA-Manaus that already hosts some of our students, and with several environmental state agencies through Brazil, providing support and easier access to parks and natural reserves in Brazil. Through an ongoing agreement with the Tocantins State Agency for Science and Research, two calls for PhD grants dedicated to BEGC have been launched, the last ended on March 3, 2013, expected to continue. 

BEGC is a research driven project. All students will be doing their thesis work within national or internationally projects that will provide the needed support, incl financial. Within those, they will participate in meetings and seminars that go well outside the indicated staff and host institutions, due to the extensive networks that each host institution/scientist participates, increasing significantly the exposure of students to diverse research communities.

 

Partners & Associated Partners